Student Travel Grants
This program provides travel awards to young scientists conducting research in areas related to quantum information science and engineering (QISE) to present their work at conferences. The goals of this program are to
- provide young UW researchers conducting QISE research additional opportunities for professional development by presenting their work at major conferences;
- enhance the visibility of QISE research at UW to institutions outside of UW.
- Applicants must have a paper accepted for presentation at a conference. Oral presentations will be favored over poster presentations.
- Acknowledgement of travel in the poster or talk to UW QuantumX should be given in the acknowledgements section.
- QuantumX awards up to $750 per event to cover actual expenses such as airfare, ground transportation, parking, food, and lodging. Reimbursements will be made in accordance with the UW’s policies on travel and reimbursement including applicable per diem lodging and meal limits. International travel requires registration with the Office of Global Affairs.
- The applicant’s research advisor must agree to provide at least a 50% match in addition to QuantumX’s maximum contribution of $750.
- Applications must be submitted online. They will be reviewed as received and judged by QuantumX faculty and / or staff. Applicants will be notified of the results within two weeks.
- To support our goal of raising the profile of QuantumX, presentations facilitated by the travel award should include the UW QX logo on their title and conclusion slides and all posters should include the QX logo in the title bar. Presenters are asked to make a brief oral acknowledgement: “I’d thank UW QuantumX for a travel grant to present this work.” All publications based on work supported by QuantumX should include the following acknowledgement: “This material is based in part upon work supported by the State of Washington through the University of Washington QuantumX.”
- Individuals may receive a maximum of one award per fiscal year (ending June 30). Awards are also limited to a maximum of 4 per research group per fiscal year. In the event of limits on funding, priority for travel fellowship funding will be given based on engagement with broader QuantumX education activities, and quality of the travel experience, as judged by the education director.
- QuantumX researchers may “pre-apply” for a travel fellowship prior to acceptance of their abstract. To do so, the applicant should complete the form as usual, but include a copy of their abstract, and have their PI send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org confirming that if the applicant’s paper is accepted for a talk, the PI will cover the required matching funds.
- Awards are only available for current UW students at the time of travel.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants will be notified of the funding decision within 2 weeks.
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.